Sunday, August 19, 2007

High waters

We received 8 inches of rain last night! It rained all day and all night. The storm was really awesome to watch, but I wish that it wouldn't have flooded everything. I was babysitting late last night and the girls and I were trying to watch High School Musical 2 but the satillite kept cutting out. For a half an hour the girls and I just sat in their living room with all the lights off and just listened and watched. I got home and there was water in our basement. It always comes in by the bath tub and it seeps into the west side of my room about 2-3 feet. So I pulled all of my furnature I have on that side out and pulled my carpet back.

I went out today to see how high the creek by our house is and it's about 20 feet over it's bank. It's about halfway up the hill that leads down to it, and the water was going really fast. I looked down at our neighbors who live in the log house down the driveway from us. Their house is now an island! They get all the run off from the neighboring houses that are on higher ground. I haven't heard how much water they have in their basement but the last few times that it flooded down there, they get about 6 feet in it.

At the bridge north of our house the river is flowing over the road, the same thing happened in Wasioja, which is a town just a mile from my house. A lot of their roads are washed out a bit.

We're supposed to get more rain this week, maybe even some today. I hope that there isn't any serious damage that happens. It hasn't before, but that doesn't mean it can't.

No comments: